Position Title: Youth Program Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Kern County
Reports to: Youth Program Director
The Dolores Huerta Foundation (DHF) is a growing 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our mission is to inspire and organize communities to build volunteer organizations empowered to pursue social justice. DHF is based in Bakersfield, California. We organize in the counties of Tulare, Fresno, Kern, and the high desert area of Los Angeles County. We are seeking Student Success Mentors who are passionate about supporting this work.
The Youth Program Manager will assist the Director with day to day planning, coordination and accountability of Youth Organizers.
- Provide team supervision, support, training and performance evaluations for assigned staff.
- Train and supervise staff to align with organizational culture, mission, and values.
- Coordinate activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, & directing the work.
- Ensure compliance and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Support with the implementation of operational and strategic planning; integrate programming with other DHF departments
- Implement strategic collaborations and partnerships with external organizations and agencies.
- Monitor contract and grant requirements including objectives and performance measures.
- Oversee the recruitment and retention of youth participants.
- Work with the Department Director to report weekly, monthly and annually of the work being done in the Youth Department.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Reliable transportation, driver’s license, and automobile insurance
- Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish & English a plus
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Graduate from an accredited college
- Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate
- 2+ Years’ experience in a community outreach role preferred
- Social justice advocacy experience preferred
- Experience and passion for community organizing
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to communicate professionally with a culturally diverse group
- Excellent organizational and project management skills and the ability to prioritize workload to complete assignments with many deadlines and competing requirements.
Job Specific Competencies
- Strategic Thinking: Possesses a broad understanding of organizational strategic planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Leadership: Demonstrates understanding of a variety of leadership and management principles and practices.
- Mission Focus: Possesses advanced knowledge and understanding of the challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization.
- Technical Skill: Knowledge of graphic design and digital media; knowledge of arts community and education institutions; Extensive experience planning and organizing events and public programs.
- Communication: Communicates clearly, both verbally and in writing. Is an effective public speaker. Communicates effectively and professionally among all levels of the organization and the public. Bilingual (Spanish and English) applicants a plus
- Ethical Practice: Models the highest level of ethics, integrity, DHF values and social responsibility.
- Relationship Management: Demonstrated experience working with staff at all levels in a collaborative, environment; commitment and ability to promote and sustain positive workplace values and relationships
- Interpersonal Skills: Ability to work well under pressure, remain calm and controlled when faced with difficult situations. Strives for immediate address.
Alignment with DHF values: Understanding and appreciation of Dolores Huerta’s legacy and the farmworker’s movement is foundational to staff’s commitment to working with our BIPOC children, families and communities. Demonstrates respect for and appreciation of social justice history, and community organizing culture, understanding its implication in one’s work, in fostering meaningful relationships, and in embracing the community served.
- Social Justice – We strive to achieve equity of distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges in our society by dismantling systems of oppression, protecting Mother Earth, and building a true democracy that values human rights including a person’s right to love whomever they wish to love.
- Self Determination – We believe in the right of people to choose and be empowered to create their own destiny.
- Democracy – We believe in political representation, freedom, and equity, everyone has an equal voice in organizations and governance.
- Collective Action – We believe there is a mighty power in people organizing together towards a common goal.
- Volunteerism – We believe that giving of your own time, without compensation, towards the benefit of others and your community serves as its own reward.
- Non-violence – We believe in the use of peaceful action, without violence, to bring about political or social change.
- Feminism – We believe in the social, economic and political equality of all genders; including women’s right to control their own bodies and the right to abortion.
- Yes We Can! – We always act with hope in the belief that what may seem unachievable can be accomplished.
Send resume, cover letter and 3 references to email@example.com
Type “Youth Program Manager” in the subject line
The Dolores Huerta Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strives to attract qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state and/or local law.