Position Title: Special Events Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Kern County
Reports to: Development Director
Payrate: Hourly: $24 – $25
The Organization: The Dolores Huerta Foundation (DHF) is a growing 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our mission is to inspire and organize communities to build volunteer organizations empowered to pursue social justice. DHF is based in Bakersfield, California. We organize in the counties of Tulare, Fresno, Kern, and the high desert area of Los Angeles County. We are seeking Student Success Mentors who are passionate about supporting this work.
The Special Events Coordinator is responsible for the strategic development and implementation of a variety of events. This role will plan, design, organize, and execute special events. This position will be expected to manage 15- 20 events annually and provide detailed reports on each project.
The ideal candidate will have excellent administrative and organizational skills and be able to demonstrate the ability to use Google Suite
Donor Relations Management
– Plans and directs special events. Acts as event liaison between the organization and vendors. Develops concepts, designs and working with the Communications Department, coordinates mailings of promotional materials and invitations and directs logistical planning. Maintains records on event activities, progress, status and post event summary.
– Attends events to oversee activities and ensure details are handled as planned. Addresses any issues that may arise and will remain on site after the event is over to ensure proper clean up. Works with and gives guidance to volunteers and staff involved in event planning and execution.
– Negotiates and contracts with vendors for a variety of goods and services related to special events planning. Monitors delivery of goods and services to ensure contract terms are satisfied.
– Maintains event supply inventory and ensures packing lists are accurate and available for event days
– Develops and maintains an extensive network of contacts, both internal and external, to facilitate event coordination.
– Work with Development Director and Communications team to develop and annual report
The ideal candidate will exhibit the following skills and abilities:
– Administrative and Organizational Skills
– Strong customer service skills
– A high level of professionalism
– Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
– Sound judgment
– Discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information and situations
– Ability to juggle multiple projects and handle frequent interruptions
– Strong computer/software skills including, the proven ability to use Google Suite
– Attention to detail and grammar inaccuracies
– Graduate from an accredited college
– Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate
– 2+ Years’ experience in a community outreach role preferred
– Social justice advocacy experience preferred
– Experience and passion for community organizing
Job Specific Competencies
– Strategic Thinking: Possesses a broad understanding of organizational strategic planning, implementation and evaluation.
– Leadership: Demonstrates understanding of a variety of leadership and management principles and practices.
– Mission Focus: Possesses advanced knowledge and understanding of the challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization.
– Technical Skill: Knowledge of graphic design and digital media; knowledge of arts community and education institutions; Extensive experience planning and organizing events and public programs.
– Communication: Communicates clearly, both verbally and in writing. Is an effective public speaker. Communicates effectively and professionally among all levels of the organization and the public. Bilingual (Spanish and English) applicants a plus
– Ethical Practice: Models the highest level of ethics, integrity, DHF values and social responsibility.
– Relationship Management: Demonstrated experience working with staff at all levels in a collaborative, environment; commitment and ability to promote and sustain positive workplace values and relationships
– Interpersonal Skills: Ability to work well under pressure, remain calm and controlled when faced with difficult situations. Strives for immediate address.
Alignment with DHF values: Understanding and appreciation of Dolores Huerta’s legacy and the farmworker’s movement is foundational to staff’s commitment to working with our BIPOC children, families and communities. Demonstrates respect for and appreciation of social justice history, and community organizing culture, understanding its implication in one’s work, in fostering meaningful relationships, and in embracing the community served.
– Social Justice – We strive to achieve equity of distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges in our society by dismantling systems of oppression, protecting Mother Earth, and building a true democracy that values human rights including a person’s right to love whomever they wish to love.
– Self Determination – We believe in the right of people to choose and be empowered to create their own destiny.
– Democracy – We believe in political representation, freedom, and equity, everyone has an equal voice in organizations and governance.
Collective Action – We believe there is a mighty power in people organizing together towards a common goal.
– Volunteerism – We believe that giving of your own time, without compensation, towards the benefit of others and your community serves as its own reward.
– Non-violence – We believe in the use of peaceful action, without violence, to bring about political or social change.
– Feminism – We believe in the social, economic and political equality of all genders; including women’s right to control their own bodies and the right to abortion.
– Yes We Can! – We always act with hope in the belief that what may seem unachievable can be accomplished.
Send resume, cover letter and 3 references to email@example.com
Type “Special Events Coordinator” in the subject line
The Dolores Huerta Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strives to attract qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state and/or local law.