Position Title: Civic Engagement Program Team Lead
FLSA Status: Temporary Non-Exempt
Location: Kern County
Reports to: Civic Engagement Coordinator
The Organization: The Dolores Huerta Foundation (DHF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our mission is to inspire and organize communities to build volunteer organizations empowered to pursue social justice. DHF is based in Bakersfield, California. We organize in the counties of Tulare, Fresno, Kern, and the high desert area of Los Angeles County. We are seeking community survey canvassers who have community outreach experience.
Are you a fun and enthusiastic individual looking to make a difference in your community? The Dolores Huerta Foundation is looking for a Civic Engagement Program Team Lead to develop and motivate canvassers and phonebankers as we move into 2024.
This Fall, Dolores Huerta Foundation is focusing on building our local power and working towards engaging and activating our voter base of We Are CA supporters. Our Civic Engagement program is the perfect opportunity to join a team that is going to help reshape the future of our state!
Team Leaders will work with the Dolores Huerta Foundation to coordinate and manage phone banking and door-to-door canvassing teams in efforts to educate voters on how corporations avoid paying taxes that will invest in our communities and to influence voters to become members of We Are California.
- Participate in a Mandatory Orientation and training September 18-20, 2023, in Los Angeles.
- Directly supervise up to (8) team members
- Meet daily and weekly campaign goals.
- Encourage team members to meet daily and weekly goals as established by the Campaign
- Provide detailed daily reports.
- Represent DHF in a professional and respectful manner.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Reliable transportation, driver’s license, and automobile insurance
- Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish & English a plus
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Supervisorial Skills helpfu
- Previous campaign experience a plus
- Strong commitment to social and racial justice
- Self-motivated and detailed-oriented
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Punctual, reliable, and able to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Bilingual English/Spanish, required
Job Specific Competencies
- Strategic Thinking: Possesses a broad understanding of organizational strategic planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Leadership: Demonstrates understanding of a variety of leadership and management principles and practices.
- Mission Focus: Possesses advanced knowledge and understanding of the challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization.
- Technical Skill: Knowledge of graphic design and digital media; knowledge of arts community and education institutions; Extensive experience planning and organizing events and public programs.
- Communication: Communicates clearly, both verbally and in writing. Is an effective public speaker. Communicates effectively and professionally among all levels of the organization and the public. Bilingual (Spanish and English) applicants a plus
- Ethical Practice: Models the highest level of ethics, integrity, DHF values and social responsibility.
- Relationship Management: Demonstrated experience working with staff at all levels in a collaborative, environment; commitment and ability to promote and sustain positive workplace values and relationships
- Interpersonal Skills: Ability to work well under pressure, remain calm and controlled when faced with difficult situations. Strives for immediate address.
Alignment with DHF values: Understanding and appreciation of Dolores Huerta’s legacy and the farmworker’s movement is foundational to staff’s commitment to working with our BIPOC children, families and communities. Demonstrates respect for and appreciation of social justice history, and community organizing culture, understanding its implication in one’s work, in fostering meaningful relationships, and in embracing the community served.
- Social Justice – We strive to achieve equity of distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges in our society by dismantling systems of oppression, protecting Mother Earth, and building a true democracy that values human rights including a person’s right to love whomever they wish to love.
- Self Determination – We believe in the right of people to choose and be empowered to create their own destiny.
- Democracy – We believe in political representation, freedom, and equity, everyone has an equal voice in organizations and governance.
- Collective Action – We believe there is a mighty power in people organizing together towards a common goal.
- Volunteerism – We believe that giving of your own time, without compensation, towards the benefit of others and your community serves as its own reward.
- Non-violence – We believe in the use of peaceful action, without violence, to bring about political or social change.
- Feminism – We believe in the social, economic and political equality of all genders; including women’s right to control their own bodies and the right to abortion.
- Yes We Can! – We always act with hope in the belief that what may seem unachievable can be accomplished.
Send resume, cover letter and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Type “Civic Engagement Program Team Lead” in the subject line
The Dolores Huerta Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strives to attract qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state and/or local law.