NOW HIRING: Communications Organizer
Position Title: Communications Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Communications Director
Pay rate: $22 – 25.00/hourly
The Dolores Huerta Foundation (DHF) is a growing 501(c)(3) non-profit
organization. Our mission is to inspire and organize communities to build volunteer organizations
empowered to pursue social justice. DHF is based in Bakersfield, California. We organize in the
counties of Tulare, Fresno, Kern, and the high desert area of Los Angeles County. We are seeking
Student Success Mentors who are passionate about supporting this work.
The Dolores Huerta Foundation is looking for an energetic and proactive Communications Coordinator
for our Bakersfield Location. This role will write press releases, and maintain relationships with press
outlets while supporting the goals and values of the Dolores Huerta Foundation.
- Write and distribute media advisories and press releases.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with press outlets and reporters
- Field calls from/to journalists; pitch stories and interviews supporting the organization’s goals and values.
- Create effective and organized press/media advisory kits coordinate press conferences.
- Regularly update the DHF press list, Build press contact info, and maintain the database.
- Track, report, and promote high-profile DHF press and media coverage (links, photos, videos, press clippings, screen grabs).
- Monitor and compile press reports.
- Review and reply to correspondence and inquiries for DHF from the general public (sisepuede email and general office line inquiries)
- Training staff on interview best practices, public speaking tips, and DHF-approved messaging for relevant social issues in regard to interviews.
- In collaboration with the Communications Director, write the Vecinos Unidos Newsletter, DHF Community Alliance, and Weaving Movements publications.
- Create and publish Op-Eds and Letters to the Editor in collaboration with other departments.
- Track Op-ed organization-wide.
- Coordinate and maintain the interview calendar alongside the speaking engagement calendar.
- Develop, execute, and track public relations strategy.
- Bachelor’s Degree in public relations, communications or a relevant field.
- An equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as
- Proven experience as a communications specialist or in a related field.
- Use digital illustration, photo editing software, and layout software to create designs, visual elements such as logos
- Social justice advocacy experience preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft applications
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Reliable transportation, driver’s license, and automobile insurance is a plus
- Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish & English a plus
Send resume, cover letter, and 3 references to email@example.com
Type “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line
The Dolores Huerta Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strives to attract qualified
applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, physical disability, mental
disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other status
protected under federal, state and/or local law.